Saturday, January 21, 2012

On Contentment

borrowed from a Facebook friend

11 I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. 12 I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want.   Philippians 4:11-12


Today we spent time riding around looking at new houses.  We can't really be in the market because we are upside down (i.e. trapped) in our current house. However, we do have the "itch."   So, in light of all the foreclosures, fire sales and low interest rates we decided to feed our curiosity and our "itch" by nosing around to see how much house we could get for the same money we spent seven years ago.  Let me tell you we could get a WHOLE LOT MORE.  But despite all the square footage and good deals I saw, that could tempt one to do some crazy things (I call it financial gymnastics), I am really content, surprisingly, so.  There was a time when I would have felt slighted, been pouty and intensely focused on how I could trade up, but today, while I admired so much of what we saw, I walked in peace - totally at peace with what God has given me and where he has placed me.  My life in Him leaves me both assured that I am where I'm supposed to be in this moment and excited to see where He plans to place me in the days to come.  Speaking of days to come, I feel like the Proverbs 31 woman - clothed with strength and dignity, laughing at the days to come (v.25).  I so trust His plan.  


I reflect on the last seven years, looking not at what I have lost in the market but at what I have gained in Christ.  His provision has been faithful, His love has been unfailing and He has caused even these fragile market conditions to work in our favor.  He is a truly a God who cannot fail.   And most magnificent of all,  I can truly say I am in relationship with Him.  Seven years ago, I was not living for Him, I did not acknowledge His hand in/on my life and things were very different than they are today.  I am so thankful for His mercy and long suffering and just grateful for where he has brought me.  I am missing nothing - not a square foot, not an inch.  I am joyful, content and complete - each and every day -  whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want.  I am filled with the love of the Lord and when I think about where my life is today versus where it was before I was rooted in Christ, I know that I have already traded up!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Recent News

Psalm 19:7-8 Msg Translation

*****

***

Followers